Legal Verdicts
Legal Verdicts, Lawyer
Experience:  Trial Attorney with Family Law Experience
20019733

My sister was a teen pregnat and have been able to take care

My sister was a teen pregnat and have been able to take care of my niece Larissa, Larissa has been a all the family child, meaning she has been with my mother at times, my other sister and been with me for a little longer than 3 years.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JasonM23 replied 5 years ago.
Hello Alejandra,

What is the question that you have about your niece or your sister?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I want to addopt my neace, she is 13 and has been with me and my husband for 3 year, what I need to know is the steps to fallow and how much money I will spend?

My neace has been in the States for 12 years is not a resident, my husband is an american citizen and I am a resident allien.

Expert:  JasonM23 replied 5 years ago.
Let me have your question transferred to one of our legal experts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Legal Verdicts replied 5 years ago.
Adoption is certainly a noble thing. It is great that you want to give her some stability and sense of family. The adoption process can be long and complicated because it involves not only the adoption but also the termination of the natural parent's rights. If both natural father and natural mother agree and will sign written consents to the adoption, then it will be relatively easy. If they will not, then the process becomes more complicated and longer.

Here is the best advice I can give on this matter: you will need to hire an adoption attorney as the procedure is complicated and if you get one filing wrong it could derail the whole process. You can expect around $2000 retainer billed by the hour against the retainer but without knowing how complicated it will ultimately get to be you can't know the top dollar figure.

If this anwer was helpful please click on the GREEN ACCEPT. It is the only way I get paid for helping people.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In this case that my sister is a single mother an she agrees to a written consent, how long will it takes and how much I will spend aproximatly?
You will still need the consent of the father. Since you have not mentioned him I am assuming that he is not around. There is a provision for that, but you will have to go through the process of terminating his rights, which will make the case more difficult. It is not uncommon for the court to appoint someone to represent the dad and then dad for the first time makes a claim. They usually lose, but you have to go through the process. Again, probably $2000 to start charged against the retainer at the hourly rate the attorney charges. If Dad doesn't contest it won't take much, but if he does it gets more expensive and I cannot tell you an exact amount.
Legal Verdicts, Lawyer
Experience: Trial Attorney with Family Law Experience