legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years

My husband pays child support and it is due every 1st of the

My husband pays child support and it is due every 1st of the month. Over the past 11 plus years, he has never missed a payment. However, he has been no more than five days late a few times. Today being the first, his payment is due and the funds will not be available until Friday, July 3rd. When he attempts to tell his ex-wife that the payment will be late, it becomes very nasty. Can you advise us, as to what actions she could try to take against him because of this? Also, can you advise us as to how we can try to appease her when he is unable to pay on time? He is a self employed contractor, and he isn't always paid until the job is done and, therefore, we cannot pay this support on time this month.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
She could try to sue for him not making the payment but if he makes it by July 3rd that is not enough time for her to get the lawsuit filed and he will have paid before she can take any legal action. It sounds like there is nothing you can do to make his ex happy if you are going to be late, it is nice that you tell her in advance that it will be late and you are not more than 5 days late. Your husband is not doing anything wrong. Maybe ask her if he pays $100 on the first and the remaining within 5 days if that will make her happy so that she at least gets something on the first.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your advice. I didn't think there was anything legally that she could do but just wanted to hear it from someone else. I will have my husband check to see if she will take a smaller amount, but knowing her, that will not be acceptable. But at least the offer will be out there.
Thank you so much, again.
You are welcome.