Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
14472836

my ex just finished his 30 day summer possession. my question

Customer Question

my ex just finished his 30 day summer possession. my question is this - is the rest of the summer mine to enjoy w/my daughter or does the std 1st, 3rd, 5th weekend rule apply for the remaining weeks until school begins???? help
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

You need to look at the exact wording in tne decree. If it does not give you exclusive possession for a portion of the the summer, then you revert to the regular schedule. The standard agreement will usually provide an exemption weekend during the summer where the custodial parent can ask for a weekend that would normally belong to the non custodial parent. This exemption cannot interfer with the non-custoduial parents scheduled time or Fathers day/Mothersday.

All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'M SORRY I'M STILL NOT CLEAR. THERE IS SOMETHING IN THERE WHERE I COULD HAVE ASKED FOR ONE OF HIS WEEKENDS IF HE'D GOTTEN EXTENDED SUMMER VISITATION. BUT OUTSIDE OF THAT, SINCE THE WEEKEND PORTION OF THE VISITATION SAYS "THROUGHOUT THE YEAR" AND VISITS COMMENCE @ THE END OF THE SCHOOL DAY SHOULDNT I ASSUME THAT THEY DONT CONTINUE THRU THE SUMMER UNTIL SCHOOL BEGINS AGAIN.
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

Requesting the weekend is the exception referred to above. You can ask for a weekend during his summer standard ( not extended visitation) possession so that you can have a contiguous block of time. Outside that weekend visitation reverts to the normal visitation schedule. The change if any during the summer is the the midweek visitations are sometimes eliminated. The words "throughout the year" mean all days other than days specifically excepted by the agreement.

In many agreements, the summer non custodial parent possession of the child includes alternating weekends with the custodial parent. The intent is not to stop the child from seeking each parent alternating weeks.