Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  30+ years family law experience. QDROs, UIFSA, UCCJEA expertise.

When I married, my wife wanted me to adopt her kids. she begged

Customer Question

When I married, my wife wanted me to adopt her kids. she begged even threatened with leaving me if I didn't. The only reason I was unsure at the time was because I didn't want to adopt them only to have something go wrong and me and my wife end up divorced. Just 6 months after we began to have problems a year or so later she cheated on me and were divorced. Her ideas and mine about raising children are completely opposite. I have no say in they way the kids are raised and it has gotten really bad. I have tried but after 5 years I see that it is hopeless and I just want out. Is there anyway I can dissolve the adoption. She did lie and tell the court she didn't know who one of the boys father really was and I have an idea that the guy who thought he was the other boys father really isn't the biological father. This is a terrible situation and I just want out. do you have any advice.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawrence D. Gorin replied 5 years ago.
YOUR QUESTION:
     When I married, my wife wanted me to adopt her kids. she begged even threatened with leaving me if I didn't. Just 6 months after we began to have problems a year or so later she cheated on me and were divorced. Is there anyway I can dissolve the adoption?
----Illinois

ANSWER:
     YES, there is way you can dissolve the adoption, but it would be most difficult and would require the involvement and consent of your ex-wife.

In sum, your adoption of your wife’s children (which established you in the eyes of the law as being the children’s legal father, the same as if the children were born to you and your wife while married to one another) can be undone (dissolved) ONLY by the children being adopted by some other man. The other man will thereby become the child’s “new” father, as a matter of law, in place of you, and he would then assume all legal rights and legal responsibilities in your place. Of course, this would necessarily require the mother’s consent and active involvement.

So all you have to do is to recruit some other man to adopt your children. And that is how you would “dissolve” the prior adoption.

NOTE: I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

================================
    If your question has been satisfactorily answered, please acknowledge by clicking the green “ACCEPT” button located in the upper right hand corner of this post. (We can still engage in further dialogue even after you have accepted the answer already given.) Also, your FEEDBACK comments are requested and appreciated. And I thank you in advance.
Lawrence D. Gorin, Family Law Attorney
Experience: 30+ years family law experience. QDROs, UIFSA, UCCJEA expertise.