Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

If defendent is in jail and has no knowledge of a paternity

Customer Question

If defendent is in jail and has no knowledge of a paternity lawsuit being brought against him, how much time does he have to respond even though he has never been served?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
That does not make sense. If the defendant's whereabouts are known, notice of the paternity action is required or else the ruling can be vacated for lack of service of process. Generally a paternity suit is not held while the father is incarcerated as the defendant would not have the opportunity to be heard.

But to answer your question you would have 20 days from the date the papers have been served to file a response, pursuant to Arizona Rules of Civil Procedure Rule 12.

Unless you waived service of process, you are entitled to notice of hearing, opportunity to be heard. You should be able to request dismissal of the paternity suit for lack of service of process or a continuance until you get out.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.