LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Family Law Attorney

Can you get child support if father is in prion

Category: Family Law
Expert:  LADY LAWYER replied 7 years ago.

Can you tell me what state the father is incarcerated in? And also what state the child support was awarded in? Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The baby has not been born yet. The father has been sentenced to 2 years in DOC in Illinois.

Thank you. While you will not be able to get child support until the baby is actually born, it WILL start accruing even while the father is in jail. If he is not making an income, there will be no way to receive any money from him, BUT, once he gets out, he will still owe every cent that accumulated while he was in jail. He'll also keep having to pay you as well. You do need a child support order though for this to take place. Once the child is born, I suggest you file for a child support order right away. Many times, you can do this yourself at your local courthouse, but if you need legal aid, you will probably qualify for some sort of free or reduced help.