RBinJax, Lawyer
Experience:  I have handled family law cases in Florida for over 20 years.

My ex and I are getting back together, He has been paying child

My ex and I are getting back together, He has been paying child support, but do to the loss of his job he has arrearages to pay. Since we are getting back together I would like to drop the child support charges. Also, what does he need to do about the arrearages if we are back together?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RBinJax replied 7 years ago.

If you are living or going to be living under the same roof, you should ask the court to suspend him having to pay child support as long as you are living together. Do not ask that it be stopped, because then if your reunion is unsuccessful, you would have to go to court to establish it again, instead of just notifying the court that it needs to recommence.

You can ask that the arrearages be suspended also. Remember that child support is personal to the children, not to you, and the judge may have to weigh having him pay on the arrearage (which he should be able to do if he lives with you, gets a job, and regular support is suspended) and keeping harmony in the house. Since paying the arrearage money will mean that the money is only changing pockets in the same house, hopefully the judge will suspend that too.

I hope this answers your questions. Please click Accept so that I may be credited for my assistance. Thank you and good luck.