How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask AlexiaEsq. Your Own Question

AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12808
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AlexiaEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 2-year old daughter was taking out of the state of Delaware

Resolved Question:

My 2-year old daughter was taking out of the state of Delaware to Neveda by her father who is currenlty in the Air Force Reserve. I had gave permission for her father's aunt to keep her for the weekend. During her stay she was suppose to spend time with her father who came from Neveda to visit her. However instead of my daughter being returned to me she was taking out of the state without my consent. The next day i filed a petition for custody and was given a preliminary injuction order but she was already gone. I also filed an Ex Parte but was denied because of insufficient evidence of immediate risk of harm to my daughter. Although he was paying child support, there was not custody order in place. Since then he won't let me talk to my daughter and i can't go see her due to me being 39 weeks pregnant with our second child. What are my rights? Can i get her back now or do i have to wait until we go to court.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 6 years ago.

Dear keaton,


It sounds like your Ex Parte was an Emergent Motion for Custody, but denied to lack of that immediate risk you refer to. This is the problem we are in danger of when we don't have an official custody order in place, delineating the parental custody rights, when 2 parents split. You don't mention what 'preliminary injunction order' you did successfully obtain? Was it to deny him the right to take her out of state? If you haven't already done so, you absolutely have to file a Motion for Custody (since your Emergent Motion for temp custody was denied) in your state, since that should still retain jurisdiction over your daughter since NV has not had her for 6 months. Of course you can not leave in your condition, I fully understand, having had 2 babies in the last few years (I hope you are otherwise feeling OK, this was terribly cruel of him). In any event, try to get some evidence of the understanding that your husband used deception, involving family members, and your good faith attempt to keep everyone in the loop with open visitation, to get her away from you. Also, use all the other reasonings as to why you should be the parent with residential custody - a you facilitate open visitation and relationship building with the father, while he has denied you even the opportunity to speak with her....if you have extended family in DE that is tight with your daughter, that is also an important consideration in custody, particularly if the dad has no one out in NV and will need stranger child care when he goes on his reserve weekends, etc. Do some research on which schools are better, showing that your upcoming pre-school and kindergarten, plus, are better than those in NV, if that is the case (if it is not, perhaps don't use that as a point)....


This custody hearing will be crucial. The fact that she has been with you in DE for 2+ years will be somewhat important, in terms of status quo, which courts generally prefer, but given her tender years, it may not be as strong as it would be if she were, say 10.


Hope this helps to clarify. And let me know if you need some follow up. I know this must be a terrible time for you.

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. If your question was in fact answered appropriately please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, in order that it be recognized as such and I receive credit for my work from the company. Doing so ensures I will be willing to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you need additional related follow up on this particular question afterward clicking ACCEPT, don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. And if you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks






My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.

AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12808
Experience: 19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
AlexiaEsq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: