Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.

Can I get temporary custody of my grandchild if I believe that

Can I get temporary custody of my grandchild if I believe that neither parent is in position to take good care of minor child? Where do I start?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

it may be possible. you can begin by contacting your local child protection services and explaining why you beleive your grandchild is not in the best environment. they will investigate and then you can file in the courts for a guardianship. it will be very helpful to have the CPS do the investigation to help support your claim against the parents being inept and not in the child's best interest. you, of course, could consult with a local attorney to help you with this matter, too.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I live in California and my grandson lives in Oregon...does this make a difference? Can a California based attorney help or do I have to go to Oregon attorney's?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

you can begin with the CA child protective services and they can place you in contact with someone in Oregon. you also need to file in the homestate of your grandchildren. so if they live in Oregon for at least 6 months, then you need to file there. if they have recently moved to Oregon then you can file in your county in CA

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. Have a great day!
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

you're welcome.