Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
14472836

Hi I have fathered a child that lives in Boston, MA. I have

Hi
I have fathered a child that lives in Boston, MA. I have yet to discuss child support in detail with her mother but I have indicated that I want to play as full a role in my daughter's life as I can, although I live in the UK, which includes paying child support.
However, my research shows that the courts in MA will probably want me to pay 35% of my net salary, which is unreasonabley high and which I couldn't afford due to my financial commitments. In Britain I would be liable for 15% of my salary, which I would be happy to pay.
Can you pleae advise me on:
what the process will be if my daughter's mother decides to pursue me through the American courts?
will the English of US courts have primacy?
will I have the ability to challenge any decisions?
the best way to proceed in terms of protecting myself and getting the best financial outcome?
Thanks
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

I think you have the wrong amount it appears to be around between 20-25% for 1 child depending on your weekly income. The maximum is $915.00/wk For example for $1000/wk the support is $249; for $2000/wk the support is: $454 You can go to this government site and run the numbers.http://www.dor.state.ma.us/apps/worksheets/cse/guidelines-short.asp.

The process is that the mother will first have to establish that you are the father. This can either be done by admission or by DNA test. It appears you admit the child is yours. The mother will then file a petitin for child support. You will be required to provide financial information concerning your income. In the US tax returns and wage statements are required. You may get asked to provide some sort of accounting of your income. The court along with Child Suppot Enforcement will run the numbers and compute the amount owed.

The massachuseets court will have jurisdiction becasue the child is there (at leat from a US perspective).

You will be able to attend the hearings and argue your position. The court will make a determination and you have the ability to ask the decision be changes, and appeal any decision made.

The process is pretty much standard not much to protect. It is based on income.

All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for that. I just want to clarify one thing; is the income figure they arrive at based on gross pay before all deductions for taxes by the government or net pay after all deductions?

Also the link does not work

Thanks
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

Here is the link again:

http://www.dor.state.ma.us/apps/worksheets/cse/guidelines-short.asp

The computation is for "Gross Weekly Income" (e..g no deductions taken).