RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

My wife filed for a divorce recently after she found out I

Customer Question

My wife filed for a divorce recently after she found out I was having an affair. Prior to that, I had already left her with everything so my son will be taken care of. I agreed to pay child support. However, she is filing for sole custody of our 18 month old son. Even though she has written proof of the adultry, I want to have joint custody no matter what. I am 31 yrs old and we both live in Arkansas. What are my chances of getting joint custody?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Adultery may be used against you in custody ligation here. But if it hasn't affected your ability to parent here then why not joint custody. It is preferred under the law here. If you have a lawyer then you have a chance to have joint custody and meaningful input into his life.

Honestly I think adultery in many situations has really become a much lesser item in divorce these days. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that the marriage didn't work out and you move on here.I thik your chances are fair here despite the adultery.

As the time passes to me this fades in importance. Make your visits and any other other obligations during the divorce and see if it doesn't all work out here. I wish you the best in moving on.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How will it count against me?

Well it is a factor here that a court considers. Some judges see it as a character flaw others see it more as you couldn't get along and the marriage is over. It really goes to the moral values of the judge, it might be more important in a small town than a large city here..