Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My domestic partner and I are looking for a legal document

My domestic partner and I are looking for a legal document that I need to secure domestic partner medical benefits via my former employer. We are 10 year residents of Arlington, VA., and we have live together as domestic partners for 13 years. Is there a legal document appropriate for us to use to legitimize our partnership?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
This is an issue of contract between you and the insurer. If the insurance policy covers medical benefits for your partner, it should have the appropriate form for you to fill out.

However, because domestic partnerships aren't legally recognized in every state, there is no guarantee of these benefits.

Check with your insurance provider and see if the policy allows for this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Regarding our wills, pow and medical power of attorny due recommend specific forms?

Thank you,
George T. Hawkins
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
My recommendation is for you to have an attorney draw up the Wills, but a form POA and Advanced Healthcare Directive/Medical POA you find on the internet will suffice.