Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law

My wife and I have been seperated since 1997. She lives in

Customer Question

My wife and I have been seperated since 1997. She lives in Florida and I live in Colorado. We have 3 children, all of which are now adults. We were married in Maine, lived in Maine, Mass, and West Virginia. I am trying to get a Divorce and need to know how and where. We are both looking to resolve this as quick and inexpensive as possible. I was told I had to file where the kids lived, just before the youngest became of age. Another person aid I had to file where we last resided as a couple. Please Help.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

Since the children are now adults, you can file in CO where you reside or FL where she resides. I would opt for CO since you would avoid any travel costs if any issues came up requiring you to appear.

There are do-it-yourself divorce kits on-line that you can purchase for a small fee. You should not require representation by an attorney if there is nothing being contested.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards,

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Positive feedback or a bonus is always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: Sometimes we receive your question before we receive your additional "optional information". If my answer does not appear to consider your optional information, please let me know as I was probably not able to view it when your question was first received.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
A local law firm told me I had to file where we last resided as a couple. Is this untrue?
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.

This is not true. If either of you have been in your current states long enough to establish residency, the courts where you live now would have jurisdiction.

Good luck to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I will look into the do it yourself kit.
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.
You are very welcome. Take care.