Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years practicing family law from divorce, custody, support, alimony to equitable distribution

When splitting custody of the children 50/50 would I be getting

When splitting custody of the children 50/50 would I be getting child support. I make about 1/4 of what my husband makes.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.

Yes, certainly. That although you make 1/4 of what he does you will be most certainly getting child support.

First, the case of 50/50 is based upon the number of nights where a child sleeps. So, regardless if a child spends from 6 am to 9 pm with a parent and goes to the other parents house to sleep for the night - that parent with whom they sleep for the night is who gets credit for the day. So be careful.

Second, what happens is that it goes by "guidelines". The state has set up an amount based upon the net incomes of the parents for 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. children. So, if it's determined that you make $10k and he makes $40k and therefore (with both spouses earning $50k) the amount of support for 1 child is $500 per month - then he will pay you 75% of the $500 based on a 50/50 split.

The above numbers are just fictional numbers.

Third, was is net income - net income is defined as gross income minus federal, state, county, and city/local income taxes less any other mandatory wage deduction (ie. union dues, etc.) - that's it.

Fourth, medical costs and everything (school, sports, etc.) else are also split like such.