Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
14472836

I have been separated from my husband of 35 years for 1 year

I have been separated from my husband of 35 years for 1 year now. We have separated all assets equally. I (wife) support him with medical insurance and he has significant medical problems so I dont want him to lose that until I know he will be covered by SSI or Medi Cal. We live in California. When he has other coverage my intent is to divorce him.   In the meanwhile I would like to buy a house with my father (both names on title). If I do that I dont want husband intitled to any part of that when I divorce him in the future. Would a legal separation be a good option for me right now?

A legal separation would be a good option. A legal separation was intended to handle a situation like yur where people need to maintain medical benefits, or religious reason prohibit a divorce. In the long run a legal separation is your best option especially if your husband has the potential of accumulating debt.

Another option is that you can with your husbands written agreement purchase property as your "sole and separate." This requires an explicit agreement from your husband ant the property titled as your sole and separate property.

If you found this answer informative please press ACCEPT so I may get credit for my response.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.