Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law

In a Juvenile Court in Tennessee, Said child found to be dependent

Customer Question

In a Juvenile Court in Tennessee, Said child found to be dependent and neglected by TN Code...
However, it does not appear at this time that it is in the best interest of said child (7) to remove her from the mother;s custody..conditioned upon mother attending classes, alcohol, family.
How can you win with the Neglect and dependency but lose custody. We are the grandparents wanting custody, the mother is single and father of child unknown.
how is this possible. Is it appealable?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

Yes, the decision is appealable, but an appeal costs thousands of dollars. You may want to request a rehearing on the matter if you believe the court made errors in applying the law. Courts generally follow the recommendations of the GAL and do protect parental rights quite strictly, so there may not be anything you can do right now.

However, if you witness or know about continuing abuse or neglect, you should contact DFS right away as well as the GAL.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards,

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Positive feedback or a bonus is always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: Sometimes we receive your question before we receive your additional "optional information". If my answer does not appear to consider your optional information, please let me know as I was probably not able to view it when your question was first received.