How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question

P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30760
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my ex has filed an emergency hearing for the day before the

Resolved Question:

my ex has filed an emergency hearing for the day before the default hearing, of which she defaulted on for costudy and support visitation etc - the children live with me and i raise them, i teach them, i love them - but a situational conflict occured leading to a dv charge against me and while that happened she has disapeared with our children - how do i stop her from taking my children out of anger at me when its been clear that she was wanting nothing to do with us in the first place? i have not seen our children in over a week all their food and clothes is here - the police said i could not file for kidnapping... please help in anyway - thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist

Want to make sure I there currently a hearing pending? WHen is it set for?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes there is a decree on demand or default hearing scheduled for thursday june 4th at 8:45 am - but now there is also an emergency hearing scheduled for wed june 3rd at 3 pm

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
OK, but who filed this emergency hearing? Her? She still has the kids? Is this emergency hearing a custody hearing?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I believe she filed for the emergency hearing.


she still has our children i have not had any contact with her or them - the police officer i took court forms over with said it appears she has not even been home for days - i do not know where her or our children are at all


yes i believe the emergency hearing is for custody - but when i call the court they would not tell me for sure


i am not even sure if i am supposed to go to this hearing or not i have never received any paperwork or court orders or supeonas etc - i only know about it because it is on my case history at superior court website

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.

Well, the best advice I can give is to get an attorney.

Contact the state bar

and see if they offer low cost or pro bono services.

Trying to represent yourself in court is almost as bad as trying to perform surgery on yourself...and sometimes even more dangerous.

I would certainly attempt to attend the emergency hearing...but if you are not allowed to attend, you will get the chance at some point in the future (that would be the time to have an attorney)

SO, advice on what to present? The court has one concern...the best interest of the children. Evidence that support this and helps you is what you need to present. The court will be reluctant to prevent access to the kids, but it may limit visitation (custody) if it feels appropriate.

The DV charge is a concern. Evidence you can present to the court that shows that this will not occur again or will not effect the kids is good.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne; find an attorney that can help you present your case.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok so i understand ... she does not have to bring our children back home? she can just leave the state with them or keep them at her apt?

even though i already have been punished for the dv (intent to cause fear - misdemeaner 2) and have 18 mnths probation - i am still on trial for it? and my children are getting punished for it also?


i need to present the children best interest is being with me? is that strictly financial? or does parenting time, childrens possesions, school district, local friends etc have a bearing on it?


i also need to present that no more dv will ever occur - i have no idea what proof can be made? other than im extremely sorry i scared her and that we hurt each other and said stupid things - i dont expect forgiveness but its something that never happened before and i know in my heart i will never allow myself to be in a situation like that again with her or anyone - my children have never been in danger from me or her (as far as i know)

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I should have addressed that.

The fact she took the children away without permission is bad for her...and you will want to preset that.

I expect that the emergency hearing is related to the DV...he claiming she is trying to protect the kids...prepare for that.

So yes, you want to present evidence she denied you access.

Financial is a small ability to raise your kids IS important...the court knows this but feel free to remind them.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30760
Experience: 16 yrs. of experience including family law.
P. Simmons and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: