lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
15417118

I reside in Texas. My exhusband and I divorced a year and

I reside in Texas. My exhusband and I divorced a year and a half ago. I had my attorney draw up papers, because I had a company car, if we signed and filed papers I would have to give car up and I couldn't afford a car at that time. My attorney gave both of us the divorce papers and told us that we could file them at any time, but it would help if my ex didn't until a year. Well, his girlfriend got pregnant and he came over to the house yelling at me to sign papers six months early...I asked him
why (didn't know about baby) and he said "sign them" I did..well, last week I went to get a new Drivers License and they wanted me to bring the filed Divorce decree...I asked my ex for his copy and I didn't have one..and noticed that it was a totally different decree. He took out the life insurance clause in case he died the kids would have child support, I think in Texas it's mandatory. I asked him about this and he got angry and said he rehired his attorney..I called his former attoney and he said he never filed a new decree. So what to I do? I have a bogus decree I signed. He brought my attorneys decree to the house and I did sign the signature page, but he switched it.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
That is why you should always initial each page of a legal document and retain a copy of what you sign. You can petition the court to reopen the case and get a copy of the original agreement from his attorney.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can't get an agreement from HIS attorney because HE didn't do it. I don't know who did, but I called his attorney and they said there is no record of any decree being done, that my ex fired his attorney and that MY attorney did the decree..but the one that he filed isnt my attorneys. so now what.
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
What I said was to get a copy of what you were supposed to have signed and then file to reopen the case. You can either do that or live with what is currently on file at the courthouse.