Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
3396227

My daughter lives in Nebraska and turns 19 in August 2009.

My daughter lives in Nebraska and turns 19 in August 2009. Since May 2008, she moved out of her mother's home to go to college out of town. I have been paying child support all that time. In August I am supposed to be free of making payments. What do I have to do to make sure this happens? Do I need to contact a lawyer or the NE child support system to get final paperwork stating I am done paying? So my employer will stop allowing payments out of my paycheck? I have been to the NE state child services website and cannot find an answer to this question or to find out what to do to make sure this is over... thanks for your help.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer- The support should stop automatically but I always go by the theory that people do what you inspect rather than what you expect. I always think it is best to file a motion to terminate support on the date it is supposed to stop. That way there will be a court order sent to the child support offices.

If you rely on the child support offices to stop the payments and they don't then you will still have to file a motion and then try to collect the over payments. That is not always a pleasant experience trying to get some government office to give you money.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information. You have helped us greatly. Last question: where do I find the paperwork to file a motion to terminate? And is there any way the mother can come after me for anything else after the daughter's 19th birthday?

You will have to create your own motion using the heading on your case with the court name at the top etc. You can just say "now comes (your name) and respectfully XXXXX XXXXX order by this court to terminate child support in this matter as of (your daughter's birthday). Pursuant to the child support order in place at this time support is due to terminate on her 19th birthday".

Sign your name, file it with the court and send a copy to the mother. There is nothing else for her to "come after" you for if that is when the support is to end.

Dave

Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years experience as practicing attorney