How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37685
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my Ex-Husband is moving out of state, do I have to let my

This answer was rated:

If my Ex-Husband is moving out of state, do I have to let my 5yr old daughter travel out of state for visitation, or can i request that he comes to California for visitation since he chose to move away?

You can request whatever you want. However, if the other parent is willing to provide transportation and security for the child, then there is no reason why the court would unreasonably restrict visitation to the local area.


Of course the court would want to be assured that the child would be safe in transit, and 5 years old is too young to be traveling by air alone. So, as a practical matter, it may be cost prohibitive for the other parent to come to your location, pick up the child and transport her back to the other parent's residence.


Note: generally, the court will make the moving parent bear the additional cost of transportation -- which is why practical financial issues may make your concerns someone moot.


That said, until you ask the court to modify the existing orders, they must be followed. So, if the orders do not work for a long-distance visitation, then you or the other parent must ask the court to modify the orders to accommodate the new circumstances.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know that you said "Local area" in your answer, but I am talking about him moving from California to Virginia..I have never been on a plane, and do not feel comfortable sending my child on one either, or let alone having her that far away from me...I can see that he will request her for summer, or Holiday breaks now, and it is not okay with me for her to be gone that long. Would that be unreasonable to ask in court? I am considering looking into a lawyer to represent me in court?

Plane travel is statistically safer than travel by car. A plane ride to Virginia is less dangerous than a plane ride from Los Angeles to Catalina Island. The court will not allow you to impute your fear of flying onto your child.


The child has two parents, which is why the court gets to decide when parents can't agree on the child's best interests.


That said, the child is probably too young, right now, to travel by plane without adult supervision. So, if the other parent isn't prepared to come get the child, the court will probably not permit the child to fly for several years.


However, at some point, the court will allow the child to travel over your objection, unless your objection is based on something more than an objection to flying or distance.


As far as the length of visitation, that's an entirely different matter. The court will not likely allow the other parent to take the child for an entire summer, unless he has been exercising custody/visitation routinely every week, because to do so creates too much of a socialization trauma for the child.


So, here you have a valid objection.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX sense, even though I still dont agree with her going..

One last question for you, If he says that he is moving in 2 months, should I go and file for a modification in visitation orders right now?

I can't tell you what you "should" do. However, tactically, if you wait until after he leaves, he may not have the financial resources to come back to California to fight about visitation -- which would give you an edge. You can always file at the time that your ex starts demanding visitation.



socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37685
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions