Family Law Answers
Family Law Answers, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  more than 16 years experience as an attorney - current family law litigation + mediation practice
12143673

MY HUSBAND ATTEMPTED TO RAPE MY DAUGHTER HIS STEP DAUGHTER

Customer Question

MY HUSBAND ATTEMPTED TO RAPE MY DAUGHTER HIS STEP DAUGHTER HE HAS BEEN SENT TO PRISON. I PUT IN FOR A DIVORCE AND HE GOT THE LEGAL FORMS AND SENT THEM BACK SAYING HE WON'T GIVE ME THE DIVORCE. HE HAS BEEN SENTENCED TO 20 YRS. WITH THE ATTEMPTED RAPE CHARGE. DO I NEED HIM TO SIGN THE PAPERS IN ORDER FOR ME TO GET THIS DIVORCE
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Family Law Answers replied 7 years ago.

Hi and thanks for your question.

I am so sorry for your circumstances - what a terrible situation this must be for you and your family.

The good news is that your husband cannot stop the divorce from happening - it's going to happen whether he wants it to or not. He does not have to sign the paperwork in order for you to get a divorce. You should be able to serve him with the divorce paperwork through the prison officials at the prison - if he doesn't sign the paperwork, the prison official who served him can sign a return of service form, affirming that he was in fact served with the paperwork.

After that, you'll follow the process in your family court, asking for the court to schedule a hearing to resolve the issues and issue a final divorce judgment.

I hope that this answers your question; if so, please click the green Accept button. Thanks very much and I wish you the best here.