RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

What are the TX laws for involuntary commitment My friends

What are the TX laws for involuntary commitment? My friend's family is trying to have her committed and then putting her mentally challenged daughter in an institution. Thanks.
Thanks for your question. The pamphlet here on the web apge below really does a god job of explainign this in simple language. Please look at it here and if you have follow up let me know. It is civil process here that starts with a mental exam and then goes from these where a court signs on order of committment in the matter.

http://www.texasbar.com/Template.cfm?Section=Home&CONTENTID=20978&TEMPLATE=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm

If you have follow up please let me know..
Thanks for your question. The pamphlet here on the web page below really does a god job of explaining this in simple language. Please look at it here and if you have follow up let me know. It is civil process here that starts with a mental exam and then goes from these where a court signs on order of committment in the matter.

Thanks for your question. The pamphlet here on the web page below really does a god job of explaining this in simple language. Please look at it here and if you have follow up let me know. It is civil process here that starts with a mental exam and then goes from these where a court signs an order of committment in the matter.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That isn't what I'm looking for - I need to know what my friend can do in order to defend herself. I apologize for not stating my request properly. Thank you for your help!
Well she will be court appointed a lawyer. She would be able to testify and her lawyer would be bale to cross the witnesses against her. They have the burden of proof in a proceeding. Her lawyer would be trying to show that she isn't a danger to herself or others such as to require commitment. Her lawyer would invaluable to assist here in this proceeding..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She will probably have to have a court appointed lawyer. If not, what type attorney should she seek?
It is mandated in Texas that they appoint here a lawyer.She is entitled to an mental examination by doctors. They have to be convinced that she is an immediate danger to herself or others. She would work with her lawyer here to demonstrate by testimony that this is not the case. Also she obviously has the ability to talk to the doctors and demonstrate that she is not dangerous.I wish her good luck. It is hard to commit someone. She has an excellent chance of contesting..