A.D. Barnett
A.D. Barnett, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1994, experienced Divorce Attorney, Child's Attorney, Adoption, Guardian ad Litem

In Florida, what legal age can a child decide to live with

Customer Question

In Florida, what legal age can a child decide to live with one parent and visit the other, deviating from the visitation schedule
Category: Family Law
Expert:  A.D. Barnett replied 7 years ago.
Good afternoon!

That's a fair question, but I'm afraid that in Florida, the child doesn't have the right to make the decision at any age. The judge will always be the one deciding custody and visitation. The court may consider the wishes of the child, and will consider the wishes of a mature 10 year old more seriously than an immature 13 year-old, but input is the best the child will get in Florida. The court is driven by what is best for the child, and always has the discretion to disagree with the child.

This may not have been what you were hoping for, but
I hope this information is helpful!

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises ; (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.