RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

I AM STILL WAITING FOR MY ANSWER, AS STATED BEFORE MY BROTHER

I AM STILL WAITING FOR MY ANSWER, AS STATED BEFORE MY BROTHER WAS DIVORCED 2 WEEKS BEFORE HE PASSED AWAY. HE HAD A PENSION OF 100,000 DOLLARS WITH AT&T. HE WAS UNABLE TO CHANGE THE BENEFICIARY IN TIME. I DO NOT THINK IT SHOULD GO TO THE EX WIFE, I THOUGHT IT SHOULD GO TO THE NEXT OF KIN MEANING HIS MOM AND D AD WHO ARE STILL ALIVE. THANKS XXXXX
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question. The pension is controlled by who was named as beneficiary here. If he designated here then she gets it. If not it would go into his estate. While I understand your frustration here it is done by written designation. He would have had to change it in writing here if he didn't want her to get his pension.

Sorry but that is a black and white process . Unless no designee in which case it passes under probate either by will or laws of intestacy. Base on your facts he had designated the ex to receive it. Sorry as unfair as that may be legally no recourse by law.