socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I need help... I been paying Child support for over 15 1/2

I need help... I been paying Child support for over 15 1/2 years to my sons mother... When we set up support I was making alot more $$$ then I am now... Can she take me back to court and try to get more $$ out of me... I also have ??? able thoughts if he realy my Kid.. I didn't have a DNA test back then.. I took it at face value that he was.. If I pulled a DNA test and it came back neg to me.. wohat could I do with that informtion.. Just looking at all possibilitys..
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

If you are earning less, you can file a motion with the court to reduce your support obligation based upon a material change in circumstances. If you don't ask the court to lower your support and show proof that your income has decreased, then nothing will change.

As for challenging paterinity, it is "legally" possible to have your parent-child relationship disestablished on grounds of fraud (742.18 F.S, or 742.10(4) F.S.), but after 15+ years, I wouldn't bet on your chances.

If this is something you really want to do, you'll need a lawyer. For a referral, see: http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=FL

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

<p class="text-13-black" align="left"><u>Terms and Conditions</u>: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "<b><u>Accept</u></b>", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.</p>