Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law

I am getting married soon. I own two properties for 15 years.

Customer Question

I am getting married soon. I own two properties for 15 years. In case of a devorce in the future, Do I have to divide the two properties between me and my wife?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

The property would be considered your separate properties since they were owned prior to marriage. You would be able to keep them. In general the property would remain yours. If you are continuing to make payments on the property after getting married it is possible you would need to compensate your wife for the appreciation of the property, attributable to the money put into the property after marriage.

If you found this answer helpful please press the ACCEPT button.

All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is your answer applies to California?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is your answer applies to the state of california
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.
Yes California is a community property state. Property owned prior to mariage is separate property.