RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years as a family law lawyer .

I would like to remove the middle name of the father on my

Customer Question

I would like to remove the middle name of the father on my children's birth certificates. Oregon requires a court order to make this change. How can I get a court order without engaging a lawyer?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
You can purchase the forms in major book store or you can use the document preparation site legalzoom.com to do the paperwork for you. You can ask the law library in your area if they have forms but you generally have to buy the forms.

http://www.legalzoom.com/legal-name-change/name-change-overview.html

http://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/1137_NameChange.htm

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is not a name change. My husband is not changing his name. We simply want to remove the father's middle name from my children's birth certificate. When I asked the county they said we need a court order to do this. How can I get a court order without a lawyer?
I see. I will opt out of this question as I don't see forms for me to send your way. Hopefully another expert who may assist can post an answer for you. You will be notified if another expert answers.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 5 years ago.
This is a name change. Ypu have to file with the court and notice the other parent if this is a minor child. Sorry but this is the law here hence the requirement for teh court order. Once the name is XXXXX XXXXX court order you submit the order to vital statistics. But the father here can show up and oppose if he chooses to do so. You are changing the child's name legally hence name change for a minor forms used here.

This site is good as suggeted..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I spoke with the probate court, they told me this is not a name change and I cannot use those forms. My child's name is XXXXX XXXXX The father's name is XXXXX XXXXX We only want to change how the name appears on the birth certificate (delete the father's middle name on the birth certificate for the child).
Well i think you got bad advice. A name change is just that. You change the names it is a name change. Any lawyer would tell you that. You may only be deleting the middle name but it is a name change. It affects everything he ever does because you are legally changing his name.

You need the name change to be able the to change social security, birth certificate, etc. I would revisit these folks and make sure they fully understand what you what to do here. I have been a lawyer fo 25 years and I have changed several names, both first, middle, and last. The process hasn't changed all that much. Please go back and tell them you want information for changing a name here. OR take your forms and file for it. They will take your petition here for filing.

You need the name change to be able the to change social security, birth certificate, etc. I would revisit these folks and make sure they fully understand what you what to do here. I have been a lawyer fo 25 years and I have changed several names, both first, middle, and last. The process hasn't changed all that much. Please go back and tell them you want information for changing a name here. Or take your forms and file for it. They will take your petition here for filing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My child name is XXXXX XXXXX My hubands name is XXXXX XXXXX My husband does not have a middle name on any of his records (birth certificate, passport, etc). The only place he has used a middle name is XXXXX XXXXX son's birth certificate. When I spoke to vital records and the court, they both told me to get a lawyer to request court order to have my husbands middle name removed from my sons birth certificate. My question is how to get a court order without a lawyer?
Mamm I'm going to opt out her and let you seek other experts.