LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

Can a lawyer office disclose to a third party the actual amount

Customer Question

Can a lawyer office disclose to a third party the actual amount that teir client received in a divorce settlement?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good morning from Savannah,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

While technically, as you correctly state, there was a violation of the attorney-client privilege. However, because the disclosure actually did you little if any monetary harm, a lawsuit will not likely be fruitful, though you would be expected to win.

On the other hand, you can report your attorney's actions to the State bar of Georgia and they will determine whether to discipline him/her.

I wish you well in your future.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your answer, I will accept and pay you as soon as I go to the car for lunch, there is not enough money left on my balance as I thought and my debit card is in the car. I have this link open so that I can be sure to pay you for your prompt response.

Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much. Your kindness is appreciated.

I hope that you have a great weekend ahead.

Best regards,