P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.

What are my rights while a divorce petition is in process and

Customer Question

What are my rights while a divorce petition is in process and how can I obtain a divorce petition?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
can you tell me what state you are in? And your soon to be ex?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am in Leavenworth county Kansas and my soon to be ex is Luke L. Laven and also lives in leavenworth county kansas.

You can pursue a divorce one of two ways;

1. uncontested; if you can agree on the terms of the divorce with your soon to be ex, you can file without an attorney. If you can agree on "who gets what" you can reduce this to writing and file with the court and in a matter of months the divorce will be final. This is the fastest and cheapest way to proceed. You can use a kit like contained at

2. contested; if you can not agree, you need a lawyer for your contested divorce. While it will take longer and cost more, at the end of the day your lawyer will secure a divorce for you. You can start the lawyer search here

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.