soloprac, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Five years of exclusive practice in family law including but not limited to mediation and trial.

in illinois if i give my baby the father last name on the birth

in illinois if i give my baby the father last name on the birth certifcate does it give him more legal rights and can i change the last name to mine at anytime without his permission if he is on the birthcertificate?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  soloprac replied 7 years ago.
Dear Idd33,

If the father is named on the birth certificate that gives him a rebuttable presumption that he is the biological father of the child. This, therefore, gives him parental rights to the child. You would not be able to change the child's last name without his permission as he has legal custodial rights to this child also.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Please to not post the optional is very important if my boyfriend reads it in downer grove he and the detail he will now it's me..can you delete that portion

Expert:  soloprac replied 7 years ago.
I have contacted the moderators to address this.