hocuspocusme, USA Legal
Experience:  If you are satisfied, please press the accept button so I will be paid for my time and services.

in order for me to get my engagement ring back from my ex after

Customer Question

in order for me to get my engagement ring back from my ex after I broke it off what kinds of things will i have to prove about the relationship being unhealthy. She was not violent, she was not threatening in anyway. The reason we broke up was she had an acute case of depression and anxiety. Any time an important issue would come up such as finances or matters of the heart she would go into an panic attack and I would quickly cease the conversation but nothing would be resolved. So there was no communication of substance therefore I didn't see a future and I had to move on. She was on medication for both depression and anxiety. The engagement ring was 10,800.00 and I would only ask for the small claims Jurisdictional limit of 7,500.00 Do I have a case based on her emotional problems alone?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  hocuspocusme replied 7 years ago.
If you broke off the engagement and the relationship broke up through no fault of her own then you cannot get the ring back. Depression is not considered fault of her own for this is a medical/mental condition. You broke off the engagement thus, she keeps the ring.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well that makes alot of sense, no fault of her own. Unfortunatly that is the answer I have been looking for, I guess thats it then, thank you very much
Not a problem. Sorry its not going to put the money back in your pocket, but it's the law.
I wanted to add a note. If you were to find out that this 'acute' depression were actually 'chronic' depression and she did not devulge this information to you before the engagement, you could possible reclaim the ring because she kept a mental condition from you. You would have to prove this. Good luck. But you stated this was only an acute condition.
Please see last post.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
In what ways could I find out this information?
Well, you are not privy to her medical data, but you could fish some information from her friends or family. Did she ever act in a moody or depressed manner before this epidsode? You could try to speak to her family and not mention anything about the ring, just mention your concern about her welfare and ask if she had a history of mental illness and see if they will tell you anything? Or go to her past boyfriends if you know any of them. Her records are off records through law of the privacy act and so are her doctors. If you could develp a freindship with her she might tell you if you ask her.