How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my ex-wife buys a house with her boyfriend and moves in

Customer Question

If my ex-wife buys a house with her boyfriend and moves in with him, his children and my daughter do I still have to pay child support or can I request a reduced amount?.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.


  1. I am a licensed Texas attorney with family law experience, and I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. I am hope that everything gets resolved appropriately for you in this matter.
  2. Based on what you have related here, you certainly have standing to seek a modification in your child support obligations. The overriding legal standard in all such cases, including those involving a change in living arrangement such as this, is what would be in the "best interest" of the child. As a practical matter, since there are no standardized forms promulgated by the legal system in Texas for this purpose, you would be best served by sitting down with a family law attorney to explore your options. The most economical route would be to schedule a half-hour session for $20 through the State Bar of Texas Lawyer Referral Information Service.
  3. I would be glad to interact with you further on this topic even after you click "accept" to process my answer. I will be signing off for the night soon, but I will be sure to check back for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum again tomorrow. I have also listed the applicable provisions of the Texas Family Code governing modifications of child support (below) for your reference.





I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.


If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.


The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.