Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I owned a home before I got married. Got married and sold the

Customer Question

I owned a home before I got married. Got married and sold the home. I used the equity to by the new home. I financed the new home in my name only. Is my soon to be exwife intitled to half of the house? I live in texas
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Yes, because the new home was bought during your marriage and thus will be considered community property even though you used the equity from your old house to purchase the new home. The key here is that the new home was purchased during your marriage. In a community property state, which Texas happens to be, all assets and debts acquired or incurred during the marriage are considered community property and community debt and the parties share them 50/50.