How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 40007
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got engaged to my girlfriend 6 months ago. Basically it

Resolved Question:

I got engaged to my girlfriend 6 months ago. Basically it got to where the relationship became un-healthy and I had to break it off. By law can I get my $12,000 ring back?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question.. You can file suit for recovery of the ring or the value of it. Courts look at who broke off and if there was a valid reason here and decide the matter. You would be talking a civil suit and a lawyer here because the value exceeds say smalll claims in dollars. But this is posible in such a situation and the court would decide the matter. You may well have good facts here..


Implied Conditional States

In these locales, if the guy breaks the engagement, he won't get the ring back. If he doesn't break the engagement, he can request its return.



Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sense California is a "implied conditional state" do I even have a chance? the two above statements controdict eachother
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Well if you broke it off you would have to justify your reasons for doing so. If she was a stalker or was violent , abusive, etc. it is possible to revcover. You would have some challenges to overcome. But I have seen people sue up to jurisdictional limits in small claims, see if they can force resolution or take a shot. This is something you can do pro se and if you loose you walk away.

$7,500 limit. Here is self help site for you to consider..
RayAnswers and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

This is good advice but I am not familiar with some of the legal terms. what is meant by "see if they can force resolution or take a shot". What is the 7500.00 limit? I thought it was 5000

Do you think it would be better to go for the juridictional limit of 5000 due to the cost of hiring an attorney for the Cival suit or going through the hassel of going it Pro Se?

Related Family Law Questions