RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

Can an x-wife who was granted 50% of retirement benifits from

Can an x-wife who was granted 50% of retirement benifits from UPS, legally start the benifits when she wants even if the retiree doesnt concent? Can she be sued, can UPS be sued? Are these crimes, if so what law would cover these crimes in Illinois?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question. If there is disagreement here you would return to divorce court and file for contempt and modification here of orders. Also the court might award him restitution/offset in such a matter. you need a divorce lawyer to review the exact requirements here of the pension plan, the divorce orders/settlement and other materials.

There might or might not be criminal issues here. Your lawyer would discuss with law enforcement and also pursue monetary resolution in family court where the divorce was granted. There are remedies here no doubt and you and your lawyer could pursue the matters. I wish you good luck in getting resolution here.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Do you think it is possible to find a lawyer on contingency? To either sue U.P.S. or Janet (the ex-wife)? We live in Nevada now and his divorce was in Illinois does he need to go to Illinois to the same court? And does he need a lawyer in Illinois? Is it possible for us to file to start getting his retirement without a lawyer because our finances are tight right now? One attorney wanted 10,000 down and costs $290 an hour, can you give us some advise what would be the best thing to do in our situation?

I am so grateful for your time and intellect on this subject please bare with me. Respectfully Michelle
It has to be in Illinois here where divorce was granted. You can shop it here. Likely you aren't goigng to get this on contingency but they may well work with you on payments. He should be able to egt his share of retirement here while arguing abot the other portion. Contact the retirement folks about that process. Here is lawyer referral..

Shop it and see what you get her as far as ees..

http://www.illinoislawyerfinder.com/phonereferral.html

It has to be in Illinois here where divorce was granted. You can shop it here. Likely you aren't going to get this on contingency but they may well work with you on payments. He should be able to get his share of retirement here while arguing about the other portion. Contact the retirement folks about that process. Here is lawyer referral..

Shop it and see what you get her as far as fees..

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.