Family Law Answers
Family Law Answers, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  more than 16 years experience as an attorney - current family law litigation + mediation practice
12143673

The legal father on my childs birth certificate is not the

Customer Question

The legal father on my childs birth certificate is not the biological father, how do i go about changing the last name?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Family Law Answers replied 7 years ago.

Hi and thanks for your question.

You would file a petition to change name of minor child and to amend the birth certificate to reflect the name change. You could also file a petition to amend the birth certificate to remove the name of the father and replace the father's name with "not stated."

The legal father would be entitled to notice of the petition that you file with the court, and the court would schedule a hearing on your petition.

I hope that this answers your question; if so, please click the green Accept button. Thanks very much and I wish you the best here.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i'm sorry to keep asking questions, i went to family court which i feel just prolongs things and they just keep changing dates, were would i go to petition to change the name?

This website should help walk you through the steps.

http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/nyc/civil/int_minornamechange.shtml