How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question

RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 32450
Experience:  29 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Would a judge make my boyfriend move out of my house

Resolved Question:

I live in North Carolina and can File for divorce in 2 more months. I currently live with my boyfriend and have been for 3 months now. I have two kids 6 and 4, that the dad gets maybe once a month for 2 days. He does not call them, see them, nothing. I have a feeling that he is up to something and this is the only thing that I can think of because he can not prove me an unfit mother at this point. He has had 5 relationships so far and has exposed the kids to all of the women, one that was violent in the end. What is the worst case senerio for me with my boyfriend living with me. We have a seperation agreement that states that we can live as if we are single and unmarried and it does not say that we can not live with anyone else until we are divorsed.

Please advise. When can I file for a divorce, do I have to wait the entire year or can I start the process now?

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question. You have to wait the year here to file. I want to give you honest advice here. Living with someone with young children here has risks. I understand that he has had other women here as well. I am assuming as an adult you are willing to take this risk. North Carolina is a real conservative state.

If you are asking is it possible he can raise this as an issue then the answer is yes. If I were advising you here I would tell you to keep separate households and addresses. These are small childern and the court will be real conservative here in custody issues. A lawyer here would tell you living with someone here is not a good idea

. Don't hold it against me for being honest. I sense that you are trying to rationalize here living with another man. but I am not at all convinced that this may not adversely affect your divorce. I see it every day. I am not judging you here but judges do it all the time especially with children this young. I want the best for you long term. There is real risk here so think about it here..

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No I understand what you are saying. He lives with another male roommate and when the kids are with him they sleep on the floor in his room or with him at his girlfriends house. Could that cause an issue if brought up?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.
Well save it until you need it. NC here has like seriously archaic divorce laws and judges too. I mean I think it is ridiculous to have to wait a year to file for divorce here. But nonetheless it is what it is. What I would watch out for here is they often drop in a social services complaint so don't be blown away if they come a knocking . It costs nothing and can cause you some hassle...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Its been almost 10 months and he has not done nothing so far. He left me so I have to keep thinking in that mindset. I am not worried about social services. Kids are clean, fed, happy and doing excellent in school. I take care of everything. He does nothing. He barely calls them. He has not talked or seen them in almost 4 weeks. Can that play a part in custody arrangements? When he does not have any regular contact?


He will go 3 to 6 weeks inbetween visits and phone calls.


If Scott moves out, and has the occasional overnight, would that be a better situation to be in?

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.
Sure it can well have an impact. He sounds scary to me. This really isn't normal behavior of a parent. All you can do here is move forward with your life as you have done and file when it has been a year.Good luck with this guy..
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 32450
Experience: 29 years as a family law lawyer .
RayAnswers and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: