Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

spouse rights versus power of attorney

Customer Question

My husband several years ago gave power of attorney to his son, and health surrogate to me...if my husband becomes incapacitated, can the son (from a previous marriage) step in and over our household affairs
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
If you have health surrogate powers, then you have the power to determine ONLY your husband's healthcare needs and the son has the PoA for managing everything else in your husband's affairs. This is not a very smart move here to separate all of this because it leads to many arguments. It is something you need to seriously discuss with your husband about changing.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we need to change the credit card number
I have made a request to customer service for you.