A.D. Barnett
A.D. Barnett, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1994, experienced Divorce Attorney, Child's Attorney, Adoption, Guardian ad Litem

I have been told that in the state of Michigan that I need

I have been told that in the state of Michigan that I need a QDRO in order to get my 50% of my ex-husbands pension and to cash out the life insurance policy. What is a QDRO and can I fill this out and file it myself?
Well, heck. I hate to end our winning streak, but I would be very, very reluctant to recommend you try and do the QDRO yourself unless the employer has their own form.

A QDRO is a "Qualified Domestic Relations Order," and it's an order that directs the employer to divide pensions and the like between two spouses. A QDRO is especially complicated because it's ineffective until it is accepted by the employer.

Many attorneys who do divorce actually refer the QDRO drafting to someone with a high level of financial skill because they can get so messy. So I would have to recommend you let a professional handle it unless the employer has a form that will for them that you can fill out yourself.

We *really* appreciate you here at Just Answer!