How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31662
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my child is 3.the father does not now or ever given a cent

Resolved Question:

my child is 3.the father does not now or ever given a cent to us and has had no contact in over a year(before that he saw her maybe 15 times in 2 yrs) she has my last name. can i get the fathers name off the birth cert.and remove all his parental rights so my new husband can adopt her.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.

You'll have to file a petition to terminate the father's parental rights by showing that the father has abandoned the child and failed to support her. The petition will have to be served on the husband and the court will set a hearing date.


If the court finds that it is in the child's best interest for the father's parental rights to be terminated, then your new husband can petition the court for adoption.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
he is not my husband, does that make a difference
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
No, it doesn't make the process any different. You still have to follow the same steps.
Roger and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions