Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

my child is 3.the father does not now or ever given a cent

my child is 3.the father does not now or ever given a cent to us and has had no contact in over a year(before that he saw her maybe 15 times in 2 yrs) she has my last name. can i get the fathers name off the birth cert.and remove all his parental rights so my new husband can adopt her.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

You'll have to file a petition to terminate the father's parental rights by showing that the father has abandoned the child and failed to support her. The petition will have to be served on the husband and the court will set a hearing date.

If the court finds that it is in the child's best interest for the father's parental rights to be terminated, then your new husband can petition the court for adoption.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he is not my husband, does that make a difference
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
No, it doesn't make the process any different. You still have to follow the same steps.