LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

If I stopped paying child support for 2 yrs.,but started paying

If I stopped paying child support for 2 yrs.,but started paying again. What can happen and what should I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Beginning to pay again is always the best thing to do. The fact that you are 2 years in arrears means that the court could find you in contempt and issue a separate punishment.

However, courts typically do not care to punish parents who appear to be making an effort to pay. I'd suggest that in addition to paying the ordered amount, that you also pay extra to begin covering the arrears you owe. That will place you in a better light in the eyes of the court.

I wish you the best.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug