A.D. Barnett
A.D. Barnett, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1994, experienced Divorce Attorney, Child's Attorney, Adoption, Guardian ad Litem

My girlfriend filed for devoice in July of 2008 and its still

My girlfriend filed for devoice in July of 2008 and its still not final and we where planning on getting married at the end of April! Is there anyway we can still get married or do we have to waite till the devoice is final?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  A.D. Barnett replied 7 years ago.
Good afternoon!

I'm afraid you have to wait until the divorce is final. Sometimes, if there are only property division issues, the court will grant a divorce and leave the property issues pending, but until a judge says you are divorced, you are married. While there is a common-law marriage, there is no such thing as a common-law divorce.

You didn't say what jurisdiction you live in, but you also need to be aware if there are any time restrictions on remarriage. In some jurisdictions, you can't marry anyone except the person you just divorced for a six month period. Check on that before you find out your girlfriend is committing bigamy.

I'm sorry the information isn't more positive, but I don't want to see either you or her in legal trouble when it could be avoided. I hope I was helpful!