Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

When does spousal support end

My husband of 14 years is still paying spousal support, since 1994. Can we ever get this stopped? He spoke with a lawyer 5 years ago who said the ex had health issues and we should wait to go to court because we risked having the amount increased. They were only married just over 10 years. We could use the money she is getting.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- The divorce decree should have the terms of the spousal support written in the agreement. I have never seen a decree that says it will just be paid with no ending date unless it is for life which I doubt in the case of a ten year marriage. If you want the terms of the decree to be changed the only way is to go to court and move that the original order be amended.

Obviously if the decree is clear as to and ending date of support then that should answer your question as to when he will be able to stop paying.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law