How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have had our grandson for most of his three years. We have

Resolved Question:

We have had our grandson for most of his three years. We have totally supported him from birth because of his mom's crack addiction and he hasn't even seen her in 2 years. We want permanent custody legally, she gets out of jail in less than a week ,, how can we protect him from ever having to leave the only home and parents he has ever known ASAP.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

Please let me know what state you are in. Also, do you have legal guardianship of the chilld?


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There has been no legel custody or guardianship done so far, she just abandoned him and you only hear from her spontaneously, and she has lived in motels, the street, crack houses, with other known users etc.. We live in Madison county Alabama, Huntsville is where our court house resides. I just graduated nursing school last year and am a nurse at Huntsville hospital.
Expert:  Tina replied 8 years ago.

I see. You should file a petition for custody as soon as possible so the mother could be charged with kidnapping if she attempts to take your grandson. As soon as you file the petition, you would also want to file a motion for temporary custody while the case is pending.


Under the circumstances, you are very likely to obtain permanent custody of the child. However, you should not attempt to do this alone. A family law attorney in your area should represent you through the process. The state bar association's website is a good place to begin your search and should also have information regarding low cost and pro bono legal services.


Please let me know if you need additional information.


Best regards,




Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Thank You.

Tina and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions