Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law

legal name change

The father is listed on the birth certificate as refused and I am trying to change the minors last name what do I do first. I went to the court and they say I have to write a letter for paternity search. What exactly does that involve? Is that a seach for the father? He abandoned the minor all most two years ago and I really don't know where he is or really care. I guess my question is, is this an attempt to locate father or just find out if he has filed legal papers   thank you kristy
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance, Kristy.

Please let me know what state the child is in? Is someone wanting to adopt the child? Have you filed a petition with the court? If so, what was filed?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
north carolina, no petition with the court yet. I remarried and the bio. father disappeared for almost two years now and I really dont care. My husband now is not trying to adopt him we just want his last name to be changed
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.

I see. Unfortunately, it is not that simple. First you have to terminate parental rights of the biological father and then begin the adoption process by your husband. You can always have the child's name changed. That is a relatively easy process, but it would not establish parental rights.

You really should consult with a family law attorney in your area. The NC bar association's website is a good place to begin your search and should include low cost and pro bono services

All the best to you and your family.