Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law

I have to pay 50% of all medical costs for my child. My ex

I have to pay 50% of all medical costs for my child. My ex wife has just now presented me with a bill that is 2 years old for my sons second set of braces. Is there a legal time frame where she has to present me with invoices or can she wait 5 years and still expect me to pay medical bills that old?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

Generally, it is expected that the bills be presented to you within a reasonable amount of time and 2 years seems like a long delay. I would try to find out why there was such a long delay and also independently verify that the bill is legitimate through the doctor's office.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards,

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Thank You.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So there is no set time by law that she has, to present me with medical bills.
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.

No. There is no time limit, but if you went to court the court would want to know the reason for the delay. Late submitted expenses can be suspected as fraudulent if there is not a valid reason for the delay.