Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
4460311

When a mother abandons a child and lets someone get guardianship

Customer Question

When a mother abandons a child and lets someone get guardianship for over 2 yrs. and hasnt had any contact with the child in over 1 yr. plus she has 8 kids and has custody of none of them, can she get this child back
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

Please let me know what state the child is in. Also, why did someone else get guardianship?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Indiana, they got guardianship because the mother left the child, and couldnt take care of it
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.

I see. It is unlikely the mother would be able to get custody of the child, especially since there appears to be a history of being unable to care for her children. She may be granted visitation, perhaps supervised, or her rights terminated altogether if a court found that she abandoned the child.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards,

TK

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Thank You.