AttorneyKaren
AttorneyKaren, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Over 14 years as a Family Law Attorney; Temporary Judge Award (2008)
11400803

How do I get a conservatorship for myself I am physically

How do I get a conservatorship for myself? I am physically and somewhat mentally disabled. Since my Father passed, I am pretty much alone. My Sister has her own family and health problems,so she's unable to. I am unable to keep the house up,I'm terrible at managing finances. I have been so distraught that my doctor put me on Valium. While it helps with the anxiety,It certainly doesn't help me keep up with all the c**p life keeps throwing at me. I need help. Thank You,B.Berna

Hello and thank you for your question.

You can go to the court and ask that there is the appointment of a private professional conservator. They know their job and the available resources in the community. They are bonded and registered with the State, the Department of Justice, and the court. They are well skilled to serve as conservator of the person, estate, or both. If there is no family member willing to be appointed and a private conservator is not desired, the court may appoint the Public Guardian. The Public Guardian is an office of the County. Through the Public Guardian's office, the County can act as conservator of the person and estate when no one else will. Friends, family members, or professional conservators are usually preferable to the Public Guardian's office. The Public Guardian's case workers are caring and conscientious, but unfortunately they have large case loads, and are unable to give the attention that a family member or private professional could.

So, my suggestion would be to call your local court's probate department and see if there is a clinic to help you fill out the paperwork needed for this conservatorship. If not, ask if they have referrals to assist you with this paperwork.

Best wishes in this process,

AttorneyKaren

Return