TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

I have been living with my man friend for almost 9 years,along

I have been living with my man friend for almost 9 years,along with my two sons. I never got an official divorce from my husband though we've been officially separated for 13 years. Do I have any claim as a wife to my man-friend, financially?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Question: “Do I have any claim as a wife to my man-friend, financially?”

Answer: No, unfortunately you have no claim as a wife to anything related to your man-friend. You probably already know the reasons, but just to be clear it’s because you are not married to the man-friend. Some states do recognize common law marriages, but New Jersey does not.

In addition, however, even if New Jersey did recognize common law marriages, the fact that you’re currently married to another man would preclude you from arguing that you are married at common law.

So, I’m sorry to say that you have no marital rights in the relationship.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the state of Maryland. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and is not specific legal advice.