socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Can a Judge determine a child support amount based on the non-parents

Customer Question

Can a Judge determine a child support amount based on the non-parents income? (Scenario: childs parents are divorced & remarried to new people. Mother is unemployed, homemaker, looking for work in her field, and her new husband is supporting her. He has not adopted the child.)
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

A parent's income can be imputed based on his/her earning capacity, which is (1) the talent and ability to work, (2) the availbility of work commensurate with the parent's talent and ability, and (3) the unwillingness to work.

Ths generally requires a vocational evaluation to determine what the parent could earn in the current market based on his/her earning capacity.

However, the parent's new spouse's income cannot be used to calculate support, because that person is not a party to the case and has no legal obligation to support the child.

Ultimately, if earning capacity is determined, then the parent will have to either (1) pay; (2) find a job and pay; (3) get the new spouse to pay, or (4) go to jail.

So, usually, once the parent is ordered imputed income and a payment, she will find a way to pay.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.